Types of binding structure (Gathering term; do not assign)
- Types of binding structure (Gathering term; do not assign)
- . Adhesive bindings
- .. Caoutchouc bindings
- . Backless bindings
- . Boards
- .. Edges of binding boards
- .. SN: Gathering term; do not use; index under a narrower term.
- ... Bevelled edge boards
- ... Square edge boards
- .. Hemp boards
- .. Pasteboard
- .. Wooden boards
- ... Mauchline ware bindings
- ... CM:
- ... HN: Submitted by: Jennie Clements, UNC Chapel Hill, 9/9/11;
... added 6/26/2012.
- ... SN: Use for novelty bindings decorated using a technique that
... originated in the 1830s in the Scottish town of Mauchline,
... in which wooden boards are decorated with stenciling,
... transfer prints, photographs, etc., then heavily varnished.
- ... Scaleboard
- . Case bindings
- . Circuit edges
- . Dos-à-dos bindings
- . Flap bindings
- . SN: Use for bindings which include or employ flaps.
- . Girdle books
- . Guard books
- . Limp bindings
- . SN: Use for any kind of limp binding.
- . Mechanical bindings
- . HN: Approved 6/2008.
- . SN: Use for bindings in which a device of metal, plastic, etc.,
. holds single leaves together in a non-exchangeable manner.
- .. Comb bindings
- .. HN: Approved 6/2008
- .. SN: Use for bindings in which the curved prongs of a strip of
.. metal, plastic, etc., pass through a series of holes in a
.. margin of the text block.
- .. Spiral bindings
- .. HN: Approved 6/2008.
- .. SN: Use for bindings in which a coil of metal, plastic, etc.,
.. passes through a series of holes in a margin of the text
- . Non-adhesive bindings
- . Tacketed bindings
- . HN: Approved 6/2005
- . SN: Use for bindings in which the case is attached to the text
. block by means tackets, such as strips of parchment or
. leather thongs.
- . Tucks
- . Wrappers
- . SN: A physically attached flexible cover for a book. Cf. Dust
- .. Cloth wrappers
- .. Printed wrappers
- .. Vellum wrappers
- . Yapp style bindings
Send comments to RBMS Controlled Vocabularies editors.