Categories of bindings/Occasions for binding (Gathering term;do not assign)
- Categories of bindings/Occasions for binding (Gathering term;do not assign)
- . Contemporary bindings
- . Original covers
- . SN: For examples of original covers as issued by the
. bookseller, publisher, etc.
- . Presentation bindings
- . Prize bindings
- . Proprietary bindings
- . SN: Gathering term; do not use; index under a narrower term.
- .. Apollo and Pegasus bindings
- .. Armorial bindings
- .. SN: Bindings with a coat of arms, or any part of a coat of
.. arms, e.g., a crest.
- .. Cottonian Library book covers
- .. SN: Robert Southey’s cloth book covers.
- .. Hollis bindings
- .. Middle Hill boards
- .. SN: Found on books and manuscripts bound for Sir Thomas
.. Phillipps' library at Middle Hill. The usual style is a drab colored paper over millboard, without pastedowns or other endpapers. The text block is sewn on two cords, which are laced through the boards. Phillipps'
.. shelf-mark is usually present in the form: [Roman
.. numeral].[lowercase letter].[Arabic numeral].
- .. Monogrammed bindings
- .. Royal bindings
- .. Settle bindings
- . Publishers' bindings
- .. Printed boards
- .. Publishers' cloth bindings
- ... Embossed cloth bindings
- .... Ribbon-embossed cloth bindings
- .... HN: Term added 7/00.
- .... SN: Use for cloth bindings embossed by machines used to emboss
.... ribbons, thereby giving the bindings a raised, often floral
- ... Pictorial cloth bindings
- ... Pre-ornamented cloth bindings
- ... HN: Term added 01/01.
- ... SN: Use for cloth bindings produced ca. 1835-1846,
... characterized by a central ornament in which the cloth was
... ornamented before the case was made, as described by Krupp
... & Rosner,
... "Pre-Ornamented Bookcloth on Nineteenth-Century Cloth Bindings,"
... PBSA 94:2.
- .. Publishers' paper bindings
Send comments to Ryan Hildebrand, Controlled Vocabularies editor.